After making the first vessel I realized that I needed to change a few things in the construction process. I used a fused hinge method to put the base on this new vessel. This was the method I used making the Dream Houses. It made construction much easier with less bending of the panels when sewing the sides together.
I was anxious to try out this shape so I used simply painted fabric to see how it would go together. For the inside of the vessel I painted the fabric using a paint called Polished Pigments. I wish you could see the luminosity of it in the photo, it is bright and coppery. This is a new paint that comes as a powder that you mix with a paint medium (Simple Solutions; one bottle for fabric another for paper). It is so metallic and bright, it literally looks like car paint. I saw Bernie Berlin using these paints at the Chicago IQF show last spring. The color glows, it is beautiful, but the base has a very different consistency than other textile paints. The outside of the vessel is painted with Jaquard Lumiere’s.
I like this shape. Now that I have a few more construction details worked out I want to try some more, but I am going to have to stop for a while and take care of a few other projects that deal with writing, dyeing and color.
This entry was posted on Saturday, September 6th, 2008 at 5:31 PM. It is filed under Creative Process, The Work and tagged with crafty stuff, mixed media, painting, sewing metal, vessels. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.
Acrylic Ink Quilting Adventure
Channel Inspiration, Creativity and Exploration at a 3 day workshop in the beautiful mountains of Southern California.